It’s been awhile….I needed a break….but now I’m back and ready to blog about life again 🙂
Gavin is turning 8 next week and we decided it’s time to teach him responsibility – for himself, for us and for his things.
I found a wonderful chore chart idea here and we will start using it on Sunday.
In the meantime, I am teaching him how to prepare dinner. This Monte Cristo recipe is his first and it turned out wonderful!! Of course, we made a few adjustments. Gavin hates jam so we omitted that in the actual ring and simply placed a bowl on the side for the rest of us. Last month I cleaned out my pantry and discovered all of my powdered sugar expired in 2014 (lol) so I have not replaced it yet and we omitted that as well.
We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Monte Cristo Ring Recipe
- 2 tubes Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (8 count each)
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 1 lb. thin slices deli ham
- ½ cup jam
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp. cold water
- 2 Tbl. powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- (smal bowl of warmed jam and/or warmed maple syrup for dipping, optional)
- Preheat oven to 375º F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner, sprayed foil, or parchment paper.
- Unroll Pillsbury Crescent Rolls and place crescents onto lined baking sheet in a sunburst patter with the points facing outward. The wide ends overlapping slightly, leaving a 4 -5″ circle in center.
- Top dough over wide ends with half of the swiss cheese. Top with slices of ham. Top with jam, then rest of cheese.
- Pull each outer crescent point up and over filling and tuck point underneath other (inner) side. Brush dough with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated 375º F oven for about 25 minutes, or until deep golden.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, dust with powdered sugar, then cut into slices. Serve warm.